Healthy Crustless Veggie Quiche
So I have to admit that my 6″ individual tart pans are the reason for this recipe. For those of you who are also native to Vancouver, you can find them at Daiso for $2/each, which pretty much sealed the deal for me. I’ve already used them twice to make quiche, so I think they’ve already paid for themselves.
I also have to admit that this recipe is crustless half because I am lazy, and half because pastry just doesn’t strike me as necessary to make an awesome quiche (layer of flour and butter – you will not be missed).
I also made this recipe dairy-free, to prove to myself I could make a tasty quiche without the cheese.
Recipe: Healthy Crustless (Non Dairy!) Veggie Quiche
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper chopped
- 3 handfuls baby spinach
- enough halved cherry or grape tomatoes to cover
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- ½ cup rice milk
- 2 tbsp unbleached flour
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Earth Balance to grease pans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Heat olive oil in a small pot over medium-low heat, and sautée onions about 10 minutes, then add bell pepper continue cooking 2 more minutes.
- Toss in your baby spinach and stir it into the onions and pepper until it’s nice and wilted. Let this mixture cool a bit before the next part.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, rice milk, flour, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Grease your pan(s) and scoop in onion mixture. Pour egg mixture over onions, and arrange the cherry tomatoes on top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set.
Serves two, approximately 255 calories per serving. Serve with salad or another side for a complete meal.